- Innovation Development & Management
- Promotion of Technology Development
- Management and Commercialization of Innovations
- Management of Intellectual Property
- Resource Mobilization, Partnerships and Linkages
- Mobilization of Resources
- Initiation and promotion of International Collaborations and Partnerships
- Initiation of Research, Academia and Industry Linkages
Innovation Development & Management
- Monitoring, forecasting and maintaining a technology database;
- Disseminating scientific knowledge and technology through any medium;
- Scouting for and nurturing innovative technologies from individuals, training institutions, the private sector and similar institutions;
- Creating synergies among different technological innovations, incubations initiatives for diffusion of technology in Kenya;
- Establishing Centres of excellence technology development in key sectors.
- Identifying and establishing innovation drivers and foresight projects in research, business, industry and society.
- Developing and continuously benchmarking national innovation standards based on international best practices;
- Ensure the inclusion of science, technology and innovation in the country’s programs and policies at all levels;
- Establish and maintain a Presidential or other award system for novel innovations, subject to prescribed conditions;
- Implementing the national innovation and commercialization policy;
- Causing the creation of science and innovation parks, institutes or schools or designate existing institutions as centers of excellence in priority sectors;
- Ensuring that potential innovations receive adequate development and marketing resources for success.
- Identifying and formulating strategies for Market formation of local innovation products.
- Creating awareness of intellectual property rights among innovators;
- Acquiring rights or interests in or to any technological innovation supported by the Agency from any person or assign any person any rights in or to such technological innovation;
- Developing national capacity and infrastructure to protect and exploit intellectual property derived from research or financed by the Agency;
- Facilitating the application for grant or revocation Of patents and institution of legal action for infringement of any intellectual property rights.
Resource Mobilization, Partnerships and Linkages
- Developing strategies for resource mobilization for strategic innovation programmes;
- Developing schemes to fund and support innovation platforms and programmes;
- Recommending provision of financial and any other assistance to any person, for the purpose of enabling that person to develop any technological innovation;
- Establishing and maintaining strategic international and regional innovation cooperation platforms;
- Nurturing existing strategic partnerships and seek to establish new partnerships
- Fostering collaboration, partnerships, and the sharing of information and expertise between institutions;
- Establishing and maintaining knowledge exchange networks;
- Developing collaborative platforms with other innovation agencies with the aim of domesticating other innovations developed elsewhere;
- Identifying and establishing innovation think tanks.
- Institutionalizing linkages between universities, research institutions, the private sector, the government, and other actors in that System;